As a visual artist, everything is a spoke that touches the hub of my “art” wheel. I love nature, I rescue animals, I collect books, and my favorite smells are rain and used bookstores. I’m a mom and a book midwife.
Quite simply, I love to work with authors to build beautiful books. My profession has intertwined art and design for over three decades and after trying many things, I’ve landed in the lap of my favorite: All things books.
I worked for a traditional academic publisher as creative director for over 10 years where I experienced most every aspect of publishing from marketing to illustration, managing production and new product development. I art directed a brilliant magazine about wearable art. I had a taste of a corporate marketing department. I learned about print production from every angle. I embraced the new technologies as they were born and can’t wait to see what’s next.
To me, self-publishing is the most exciting direction my career path could have merged with. And it’s the perfect fit.
Founded Teri Rider and Associates – 1983
Academic Communication Associates – 1987
Ornament Magazine – 1997
Corporate Marketing Department – 2000
Art director/Sr. Designer Photography and Design Studio – 2002
Everything Else – Present
Why people hire me
- My book design fee not only includes layout and cover design, but over 30 years of experience fine-tuning my skills and staying on top of new trends, information, and technology.
- I don’t just format your book. Anyone with basic InDesign skills can do that and some companies even automate the process. I design your book, not just format it. I look at each page and make sure it flows and follows good rules of typography. My designs often include page embellishments on chapter headers or page dividers, and sometimes in the footer or header if it fits with the story.
- My clients typically pay between $2500 and $4000 for book design, so I’m not in the same category as many others, but my books have a professional look that easily compares to “big” publishers and will make your book stand out from the competition.
- My knowledge expands beyond book design and well into self-publishing, POD (Print on Demand), traditional printing and production, and more, all of which benefit my clients through the entire process.
- You get to work with ME directly, not one of my employees or contractors. Me. I personally manage every project and I take my time with you making sure your book is as close to perfection when we are done as is humanly possible.
- Since I have been in the industry for over three decades, I have valuable contacts and resources and I can guide you in the direction that is right for you and your end goal. My resources include: trade printers, ebook specialists, editors, web developers, marketing experts, social media gurus, photographers, spiritual counselors, and more.